Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Interesting Article on Progesterone Injections

As you know I have been doing some research on the safety and effectiveness of progesterone injections as a preventative measure for preterm labor. As part of my search I sent an email to a woman named Henci Goer, the author of The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities asking for any information she may have on them.

She sent me a link to this article Does Progesterone Treatment Prevent Preterm Birth? A Case of “Skim Milk Masquerades as Cream”. It is a very informative and interesting article and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that anyone considering progesterone injections read it.

I hope this helps anyone facing the risks of preterm labor make the most informed decision possible for them and their baby.

New Question: Does anyone have information about the risks of uterine rupture after a classical c-section? My doctors are insisting that I have an amino at 36 weeks to check the development of my babies lungs, administer steroids if necessary, and schedule a c-section as soon as the baby is ready so that I do not go into labor. I want to know if this is necessary or if letting myself go into labor and then having a c-section is safe option. I want my baby to stay in until it is ready, but I also don't want to put both of us in danger. I cannot VBAC since my c-section was classical I am told, this I have to accept I think, but I am not sure about all these other interventions. Any information would be helpful.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the link to the article. I found it interesting. I also found the comments intriguing. I made the decision to use progesterone injections while pregnant with Jeffrey. I can tell you that I did begin having pre-term contractions every 2 minutes at 24 weeks, which were then controlled by terbutaline. I immediately questioned the effectiveness of the progesterone, but I wasn't willing to quit taking it. I just started taking the shots two weeks ago for this pregnancy and I can say that I've noticed a difference in uterine irritability. I've had a long conversation with my compounding pharmacist, who is a naturalist on every level, and he has reassured me of the postive study results he's read and he's also an advocate because there appears to be no negative side effects.

    I'm not nearly as concerned about the progesterone injections as I am about the effects that terbutaline could have on the baby. Now, that's a whole other conversation. :)

    What it comes down to for me is that I just want to take every precaution possible to prevent another preterm birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you shared this link. I read it and found it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Rachel,
    Obviously I'm not a human doc, but it is interesting to view this info. from a veterinarian standpoint (just other mammals :) ). We use daily oral progesterone supplementation in pregnant mares very commonly whenever we have the slightest concern about losing the fetus (based on history or current clinical picture). When running hormonal bloodwork during pregnancy the level of progesterone really can't be "too high", we just have a minimal threshold that we don't want to go below. I personally can't see any kind of scientific data where the cons outweigh the pros of progesterone use...as you know the synthetic hormone oxytocin "ptocin" is used in the majority of US deliveries. Let me know how everything goes :). Love ya, Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this article. I have been searching for information on progesterone injections for a couple of weeks now and it brought me to your blog.
    First let me say that your story touched my heart and please know that I will keep you and your family in my prayers/thoughts. In the last two years I have had so many people close to me lose children, either born before there time or at too young an age. I have seen up close how very hard this is on a family.
    I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with our third child and have had preterm labor with our first two. My doctor asked me to look into it and see what I thought. Thank so much for posting the link to the article ... I guess I have a little more thinking to do.
    Thanks - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the link to the article "A Case of Skim Milk Masquerades as Cream.” It is refreshing to find an article that states statistics and facts. It's unfortunate that so many doctors prescribe these medications trusting that the research is accurate. I realize it is not possible for doctors to individually research each new drug that comes out. It simply is not feasible with the busy schedules they already lead, so in turn they must rely on the research that comes out. As you pointed out, however, sometimes the research is not correctly reported. Thank you again for taking the time to post the link to that article.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved